Monday, January 12, 2015

Review of The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion


Title/Author: The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman #2) by Graeme Simsion
Publisher/Date published: Simon & Schuster, December 30th 2014
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Don Tillman and Rosie Jarman are back. The Wife Project is complete, and Don and Rosie are happily married and living in New York. But they're about to face a new challenge because - surprise! - Rosie is pregnant.
Don sets about learning the protocols of becoming a father, but his unusual research style gets him into trouble with the law. Fortunately his best friend Gene is on hand to offer advice: he's left Claudia and moved in with Don and Rosie.

As Don tries to schedule time for pregnancy research, getting Gene and Claudia to reconcile, servicing the industrial refrigeration unit that occupies half his apartment, helping Dave the Baseball Fan save his business, and staying on the right side of Lydia the social worker, he almost misses the biggest problem of all: he might lose Rosie when she needs him the most.

***WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES***

I absolutely LOVED The Rosie Project, it's one of the best books I've read in 2014 and one of the most amazing feel-good books that I've read ever. So obviously, I was excited about the sequel, cause while the end of The Rosie Project was perfect, I can't help but want to dive right back in with Don and Rosie! And while I liked it, it wasn't as good as The Rosie Project, but I still really enjoyed this.

So let's talk about the things I liked:
-Don managing to get himself into trouble yet again and getting arrested because of his lack of understanding of the subtleties of communication and people thinking he was a creepy guy staring at kids, while he was just trying to study how parents interact with their children.
-I liked how Don makes new friends in New York and one of those is a rockstar and it's just amazing to see the impact he has on their lives just by being himself.
-Don is still a true friend and is there for both Gene (who is an asshole and unworthy of Don's friendship in my opinion) and Gene's son and is honestly just trying to help their family even though they may not want him to.
-Just Graeme Simsion's writing in general, cause it's intelligent and funny and filled with so much humanity!

But then there were some parts I REALLY didn't like:
-Rosie. I just didn't like her in this book, she was hurtful and irrational and just seemed to give up on Don and their relationship and they were having a baby and I just wanted to shake her and go WTF?? I mean, she KNOWS Don, how can she not give him some time and room to adjust to the idea of becoming a father and just help him along with it instead? I really did not have much sympathy for her.
-Also, she just decided they were going to have a baby? Why is this not addressed in the book? She just stops taking birth control without really talking things through with Don? That's a huge relationship no-no.
-Also the lady from the tuna incident? She was WAY out of line. I really did not like her. Which was probably the point, so yeah, well done.

I felt like Don did all the growing in this relationship and Rosie just stayed the way she was and did her thing and expected him to make all the changes. And then towards the end I got so mad at her because she was just ready to quit basically everything and just WTF?? So that did detract from my enjoyment of The Rosie Effect, cause I felt like Don was giving it his best effort and she wasn't appreciating him.

I still really loved reconnecting with Don and seeing him make his way in New York and deal with his new friends and people on a research project he was part of, it was just wonderful. I just felt like this lacked the spark that was there in The Rosie Project that made it such a perfect read, and I think it's mostly due to me not liking Rosie very much in this one.
Still, if you haven't given these books a try, you really should, they're excellent!

My rating: 3,5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment