Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Review of Infatuate by Aimee Agresti


Title/Author: Infatuate (Gilded Wings #2) by Aimee Agresti
Publisher/Date published: Harcourt Children's Books, March 5th 2013
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley
Buy it at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Haven Terra is still recovering from an internship that brought her literally to the brink of hell when a trip to New Orleans leads to more trouble. Graduating early from high school leaves the spring semester free, so Haven and her friends Dante and Lance head to the Big Easy to volunteer with community service projects. But their true mission becomes clear when they run across an enclave of devils known as the Krewe. New Orleans is a free-for-all for these shape-shifting devils, who are more reckless and vicious than any Haven, Lance, and Dante have encountered. And they soon discover their French Quarter housemates are also angels-in-training, and together they must face off with the Krewe in their quest for wings. But Haven’s resolve is tested when Lucian, the repentant devil with whom she was infatuated, resurfaces and asks her for help escaping the underworld. Can he be trusted? Or will aiding him cost Haven her angel wings—and her life?

***WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR BOOK 1***

So you might remember how I had some issues with Illuminate, the first book in the Gilded Wings series. Some of those things worked better for me in Infatuate, but I also came across some new things that annoyed me a bit.

Haven, Dante and Lance graduate early and go to New Orleans to do some volunteer work, which seriously had me giving them the slow clap, because there aren't that many people out there who'd choose to spend months doing this. But maybe this also comes from them being angels in training and all, having an innate inclination to do good.
So pretty much all hell starts to break loose in New Orleans. Or tries to break loose at least.

I really liked some of the new characters we're introduced to, most of all Max, who makes a really nice boyfriend for Dante (which had me cheering actually, cause they're really sweet together).
I did however not appreciate the leader/trainer who has his own methods for teaching them, bordering on psycho behaviour at times. It was seriously uncool. I got that he wanted them to excel and develop their powers and all, but really, it was kinda creepy and I didn't understand why the kids didn't just all band together to kick his ass in the beginning. After it's explained what it is exactly that he does, he gets a little more easygoing but I always remained wary of him.

I think that the thing that bothered me the most about a couple of the new characters is that everyone is either ALL good or ALL evil, there isn't much of a middle ground. Except with Lucian I guess. I did like that we got to see more of Lucian and I was actually really rooting for the guy. This may also be partly due to the fact that Lance was being a huge douche throughout most of the book. Seriously, I would have dumped his ass and not looked back, he was just so UGH! GUYS! I don't want to say to much for fear of spoilers, but that boy is officially not in my good book anymore.

I liked that we learned more about all their abilities and seeing them develop was fun. I did laugh at the whole powers-that-be transitioning from communicating through diaries to cellphones, but I just went with it. The stakes get higher and I liked that Haven became more her own person and connected more with Dante again because I had missed the best friend relationship in the first book. And I liked that unlike a lot of angel YA, this isn't preachy in the least.

The ending isn't so much a cliffhanger as that it just seems to stop in the middle of the action and it left me going: WHAT?! It was such an awkward moment to stop that I felt somewhat baffled and unsure how to go from there.

I did like Infatuate and I liked it a little more than I did Illuminate, but again I had issues with this book and it took me a long time to actually finish it. I am interested enough to continue with the series though and I'm secretly hoping Haven will end up with Lucian in the end!

My rating: 3,5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment