Sunday, September 30, 2012

Daisy Update (21) and Book Haul (3) In which I made ALL THE FOOD

Hi guys!

So it's been a while since my last Update! I've been really busy on the weekends, so it kinda got away from me. But this weekend is filled with relaxing, reading and catching up on everything, so YAY!

Since my last Update I celebrated my parents' 30th anniversary by going to an amusement park with rides based on fairytales and after that we went out to dinner, it was great! We celebrated my mom's birthday on the weekend after, which was nice and we just hung out at my parents' house.

2 weeks ago on Sunday I started my first night shift week. We always start with a 24-hour shift on Sunday and then work the rest of the nights that week. And guys, it wasn't all that bad! I mean, Sunday was pretty quiet and then the other nights were as well! I only had to get up before my alarm went off once and other than that I got a couple of calls, but nothing really urgent. I kept hearing that I was really lucky, cause usually you have to get up at least once a night :) So I mostly just hung out at home during the day and took naps in the afternoon and read a lot and spent time with the boyfriend.

Then pretty much all of last Saturday was spent cooking in preparation for my birthday on Sunday! I wanted to do a tapas buffet because I love tapas and wanted to have a nice dinner on my birthday and not just fries or something. Usually I go out to dinner, but this time we had guests. So the boyfriend and I made a LOT of food, which was fun, I really love cooking! It just took up a big chunk of time, but it was completely worth it!
Here's the finished result:


On Sunday my parents, brother, the boyfriend's parents, brothers and sister with their significant others came over and we had a really nice time! I got something sparkly for my birthday from the boyfriend, which I absolutely LOVED, the boy knows me well! ;)
I just love being the birthday girl and having people come over and getting presents and such!

Wednesday one of my best friends and her boyfriend came over for dinner and we had such a good time! I love hanging out with her, we just get each other!
Other than having to at the last minute fill in for someone on the evening shift on Tuesday, work was pretty uneventful. The ER was pretty quiet, so I was doing ok.

Friday night there was a BBQ organised by the nursing staff and we were also invited, it was a lot of fun! It's nice to see all of them outside of the hospital, in regular clothes and not running around cause there's so much work to be done!

Yesterday I went over the my parents' house for dinner and stayed over, it's pretty relaxing when I visit them, cause we usually just walk the dogs, eat and watch TV or read and talk, it's really nice! And the dog who stayed over at my place a couple of months ago is really good at laying at my feet and keeping them warm :)

In Bookish News: Guys, I failed at not buying books. I kept myself on a ban till my birthday, but after that I just couldn't resist going on the Book Depository and pre-ordering myself some pretties. But I did manage to read a bit more with my night shift week, so it's kinda justified, right?

My book haul for the last 2,5 weeks:

Gifted:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Got these lovelies from my awesome brother for my birthday! :) THANK YOU! I wanted to complete my collection of them in English, as I own the first 4 books in Dutch before I switched to English.

Bought:

A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies
The Diviners by Libba Bray: SO EXCITED! LOVED Gemma Doyle! Also, this one makes the rest of my books look like they're so tiny because it is MASSIVE.
The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson: I may have squealed and done happy dances hugging this book when it arrived. I will also be starting this after I have typed up this post! :)
Vanish by Sophie Jordan
Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

For Review:

The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb
Seduced by a Pirate by Eloisa James
The Lady Most Willing by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James and Connie Brockaway
Some Like It Wicked by Carole Mortimer
The Bridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace Burrowes
The Lady of Secrets by Susan Carroll
The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley
The Second Seduction of a Lady by Miranda Neville
Vengeance Bound by Justina Ireland

So that's all for me, while you're here, don't forget to enter my Birthday Bash Giveaway, as it ends next Sunday!

Hope you guys had a great week and happy Sunday!

10 comments:

  1. The food looks awesome! Glad you had a great birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have decided book buying bans are just a way of justifying a huge book buying splurge when they are over ;) I can't do it to myself - it's not like I'm going without something to buy books so I might as well carry on. At least until I can't get in the door becuase it's blocked by books ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yes, you are probably right ;) I do feel very justified in buying lots of books right after a ban, sort of as a reward for not buying them before :) This probably amounts to the same number of bought books in the end...

      Delete
  3. Mmmm that food looks delicious! Glad you had a nice birthday! :-)

    I am really excited to read The Diviners, I'm hoping I get to it this month! Have another great week, Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      I'm really excited as well! I've heard so many good things about it :)

      Delete
  4. So much food! Yum! And happy belated birthday! :)

    I fail at not buying books, too ... BUT I think I might put a book-buying ban on myself until the end of the year. IT MUST BE DONE!

    Have a great week, Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      The end of the year! That's so far away!! I don't think I could do that...

      Delete
  5. *hugs*
    Happy Birthday Daisy!!
    That food looks awesome.
    And the amusement park you went for your parent's anniversary sounds made of win.

    I totally get you on the HP thing! I have the first four in Spanish and then I bought the hardbacks for 5-7 in English. But last year my sister gave me the whole set in English. It was awesome though I'm stilly trying to find a way to justify my buying the UK signet edition.

    I hope you like your review books, I'm on a self-imposed requesting ban until I finish the books I currently have for review (i think they are, like 7?) though I admit I panicked a couple of weeks ago and requested a Christmas book.

    I only bought one book - Quintana of Charyn - because even with free shipping is gonna take big chunk of my last paycheck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your party looks AWESOME. I would have loved to be able to attend and wish you a happy birthday in person! Maybe someday :D

    ReplyDelete