Monday, March 12, 2012

Review of Trouble at the Wedding by Laura Lee Guhrke



Title/Author: Trouble at the Wedding (Abandoned at the Altar #3) by Laura Lee Guhrke
Publisher/Date published: Avon Books, January 1st 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Annabel is about to marry the perfect man...
The last thing Miss Annabel Wheaton desires is true love. She learned the hard way that love makes a woman foolish and leads only to heartache. That's why she agreed to marry an earl who needs her money. He's got a pedigree and a country estate, and he won't ever break her heart. There's only one problem...
Christian isn't about to let her marry that pompous prig...
Christian Du Quesne, Duke of Scarborough, thinks the stubborn heiress is about to make the biggest mistake of her life, and he's determined to stop her. Tempting beautiful women is Christian's forte, after all. When her family offers him a nice sum of money to stop the wedding, he's happy to accept.
Falling in love with Annabel was never supposed to be part of the bargain..."

You guys know how much I love my historical romances. Because really, I do love them. And this one was a perfect example of why I enjoy reading them so much!!

I really liked both of the main characters, I mean, Christian and Annabel were both strong characters who knew what they wanted. Even though that might not always be the most sensible thing or what was best for them. Annabel had me laughing at her Southern charm with an underlying bit of steel! She had her lawyers good and cowed, it was great!

Christian was a great hero, he's one of those men who says 'I'm never going to get married' until he meets the right woman. And really, the man knows when it's time to just accept the fact that he's changed and he does want the whole shebang with one special lady. Also, I loved that Laura Lee Guhrke had him *talking* Annabel out of her marriage, I mean, Christian has the seductive powers down, but mostly he's just talking to Annabel. YAY COMMUNICATION!

And I was so loving the ignorant male moment Christian had when he's doing the right thing, but going the wrong way about doing said right thing! :) I mean, I LOVE those moments when the heroine is despairing because of it, thinking he doesn't love her. Makes for the BEST tension and tear-inducing moments! (I swear I'm nice, I'm not enjoying people's misery, but these moments when they find out the truth are AMAZING!)

I was kind of rolling my eyes at the Annabel's idea that she shouldn't seek to marry for love, but I totally forgive her because she was such an awesome character in all other matters.
What I mean to say is, I've never read a book by Laura Lee Guhrke before, but I'm definitely going to be reading more by her, because Trouble At the Wedding was SO GOOD! It had me smiling and laughing and just enjoying myself tremendously!

My rating: 4,5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I so so so want to read this book.
    I didn't love the previous two books in the series but I think this one is more to the usual awesome I expect from LLG.


    I'm so happy you liked it!! I'm going to try to bump it up in my To-Read list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read anything by Laura Lee Guhrke before, but I'm definitely going to now! I loved the characters and the story! :D

      Delete
  2. I need to get my historical romance fix soon - and this one sounds really good! I can't wait to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is REALLY good! Hope you enjoy it as well! :)

      Delete