Monday, October 10, 2011

Elizabeth, The Enchantress by Lavinia Kent



Title/Author: Elizabeth, The Enchantress (The Real Duchesses of London #4) by Lavinia Kent
Publisher/Date published: Avon Impulse, September 1st 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Regency England just got real(ity)
Episode 4: How to Succeed in Marriage without Really Trying
Elizabeth, the Countess of Westhampton, has found her husband. Unfortunately, she’d have preferred it if he’d stayed lost! How is she supposed to react when the man who married her and then abandoned her without a wedding night suddenly reappears? Obviously, she’ll have to plan her revenge very carefully..."

You may have heard me mention before that while I like the novellas I've read lately, I always have this feeling that if it was a full-length novel, it would be better. Well, maybe I was just not reading the right novella! This one didn't feel like it lacked depth at all!

There were some real problems between Elizabeth and William and I loved that! I mean, CONFLICT! YAY! I teared up a couple of times and it was wonderful!

The thing is with novellas, you HAVE to get sucked into the story right away, else it will be over before you know it, leaving you disconnected. I immediately felt pulled into this one and I loved that.

I do think I could have benefitted from reading the previous novellas in the series in regards to the relationship of the duchesses, but well, I managed.

I loved this one and I think I should be reading more of Lavinia Kent's books :)

My rating: 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I have not read many novellas, but I do teach short stories in my 8th grade classes and know that to judge them you have to look differently at plot and character development since it is so much shorter, I would imagine novellas are the same similar. good to hear this one worked for you. Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like the novella so much! I think that if it's well written and well edited, even a shorter story can pack a good punch and have good characters!

    I like the sound of this so I'll try finding it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really cute. I like that the story starts with them already being married, I hate when historical romances follow a pattern and this one definitely seems different.

    ReplyDelete